Mia Liinason of TechnAct is co-editing a special issue of Frontiers in Sociology with Marta Cuesta and there is a call for papers.
We invite contributions that critically engage with the emergent possibilities and risks for feminist, antiracist and LGBTI+ subjects and struggles in digital times, that examine the diverse effects on digital activism and activists of the blurred boundaries between the private and public, explore ambivalences, tensions, and new alliances in feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist struggles, and investigate into the performative power of social justice activisms at the digital, within as well as beyond pandemic times in local and transnational contexts.
By attending not only to the impact of digital technologies on social justice activisms but also to the influence of activisms on digital technologies, platforms, and affordances, this collection of articles takes a non-digital-centric approach to critically scrutinize the shifts and continuities that characterize our turbulent present, including but not limited to themes such as:
· Feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism on social media platforms
· Emergent communities and online belongings in feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism
· Feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism during pandemic times
· Ambivalences, tensions and new alliances in feminist, anti-racist and LGBTI+ struggles
· Digital tactics in feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism
· Algorithmic connections and disconnections in feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism
· Blurring private-public boundaries and/or spatial transformations in digital activism
· The power of performativity and/or performance in feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism
· Online-offline entanglements in feminist, LGBTI+ and anti-racist activism
· Collective sensemaking in hashtag activism
· Networked (counter) publics and other reconfigurations of the public sphere in digital times
Abstracts (of 150-200 words) should be uploaded to the submission portal of Frontiers in Sociology: https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/22686/feminist-anti-racist-and-lgbti-activisms-within-and-beyond-pandemic-times-scrutinizing-the-implicati?fbclid=IwAR2seM9eiBbr9X1DshIX9-OKE6Hr6t4SaFPIJt3Cu-tofGUISTgMmqykWww#overview